Thursday 28 September 2017

What happened to the LIVER Mom??

Growing up in a West Indian house I was thrown into situations with NO WAY OUT.
For example, having to eat Liver for dinner at least once a week. Now, it was either you ate that liver with your white rice and liver gravy or you ate that white rice with liver gravy and took your happy butt to bed. There was no arguments, no questions asked, no making of something different. We where told that Liver was good for us (WHO KNEW) and we had to eat it. 


Come to think of it I always saw my dad cooking the liver, my mother sharing out the plates to us, but I never witnessed them actually eating this meal. HMMMMMMMMMMMMM


Anywho, lets fast forward to about 20 something years later and include my three children to this equation.  There has seemed to be a shift in the matrix's when it comes to certain things. For example, EATING LIVER BECAUSE IT IS GOOD FOR YOU.


Now, my parents play a major role in my families dynamics. One of two pick up the little ones (Ari and Tonio) after school and often prepares dinner for my entire family before I get home from work. While I am very thankful and blessed to have such amazing parents in my life I'm left to wonder WHAT HAPPENED TO THE LIVER??


Since the birth of my son 16 years ago I can't recall my parents cooking liver not once.  So I decided to ask my mother one day why she no longer cooks her famous once a week liver?? Her answers amazed me.


Me: Mom, why don't you guys cook liver anymore?
Mom: Because you are grown
Me: WHAT?
Mom: We only cooked it when you guys where younger because they said it was good for children
Me: Did you eat the liver when you cooked it?
Mom: Heck NO, that stuff is disgusting
Me: WOW, so you just feed it to us.SMH
Mom: Yup, but your health now right!
Me: Hmmm, so why don't you cook it for my kids?
Mom: Because I don't want to punish them. I'm their NANA so I get to spoil them. If they want Pizza for dinner then that's what we are having. If they want Shrimps and Mac/Cheese for Dinner that's what we are having. I cook now based on what my grandbabies want.
Me: WOW, MOM

No comments:

Post a Comment